Thursday, October 22, 2009

Go Women!




Being an athlete I have been exposed to many athletic products throughout my life. And so I grew to become a heavy user of the Nike products. I even swear on their tennis shoes- I would never play with a different shoe to tell you the truth. But as much as I like the company, sometimes I am not too fond of its marketing efforts. To me, its approach to sign the best athletes of each sport and just focus on them is not always the most effective one.

But when seeing the ad for Nikeplus, the collaboration of Nike and Apple for the Men vs. Women Challenge I got very excited. This ad is actually really good! There is a great idea behind it and it seems like the company is thinking about the bigger picture: how do we make people want to run and purchase our product.

Many of us work out, but most perceive running as boring. But this commercial does a great job of actually motivating to go run. I almost wanted to jump up and support the women’s team myself. Also the idea of starting a “Gender Challenge” is very clever as it creates a need for the product.


I also think that the Nike and Apple brands go really well together. The ad also shows the unique feature of the shoe with the Apple chip that updates the amount of miles you ran to your computer and it makes it exciting and wanting you to be a part of the game.

And even though Nike (of course) also uses it star athletes in this ad, this time it works out perfectly. I loved to see Roger Federer and some soccer players in the clip. And the scene with Eva Longoria and her husband Tony Parker is just so cute and funny. The ad is very appealing, fun and just makes me want to run and get the Nikeplus product! Go women!

No comments:

Post a Comment